The Swan Falls Dam was built to provide electricity to support operation of the Trade Dollar and Black Jack mines of Silver City. It was the first hydroelectric dam on the Snake River, constructed in the year 1900-1901. The site was originally located by Boise mining engineer A. D. Foote along with A. J. Wiley and construction was authorized just a few years after Foote left the area. Read the Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series on Swan Falls Dam or check out the dam’s 1976 National Register of Historic Places nomination to learn more! Or browse all images in this collection.